How to use it to gather CXO support?
It is not what you do, but how what you do will benefit the company, that matters.
Well, not even the benefit matters, but how you say it will benefit that matters – if you want any support and funding to do anything in the data area.
‘Once upon a time, long long ago…’
CXO’s do not have that much patience or time to address your long-winded stories either..
Maybe this short approach will help.
1. Get attention – Why are we meeting?
2. Why is it critical now?
3. Can you prove/show reasons for this urgency/criticality?
4. Save the complexity and details of all your hard work- explain What’s-In-It-For-Me (my function, my team, the company)
5. Do you know what you are talking about? How can I trust you will be able to deliver this? Do any of my people know about this?
6. Are you giving me more (benefit) than what you take from me (budget)?
What are some other things you would consider adding to this? How did AI/ML, blockchain,..and all the buzzwords impact this? did it get easy or difficult to explain the why to senior executives?
October 19, 2020